04 March 2010

Steppe 6

Finished another book! The comic-book novel, "The Watchmen" by Alan Moore, Dave Gibbons, and John Higgins. It was a really amazing story, and of course was better than the movie, which I *gasp* saw before I read it. It brings up many questions of existence and humanity and our struggles with our imperfections, confronting those questions in a fascinating light.

This week has gone well, and I seem to be under the growing illusion that discipline is actually effective. Made bread for the first time since I was a small child in the kitchen with mom, so that was fun and brought back a flood of memories as soon as I plunged my fists into the dough. This weekend Steven and Nadine are going to UB for a German Olympiad so I will have the apartment to myself for the first time, which will be rather exciting! Tomorrow another American who is living and working in UB (also through Anita) may come to visit me for a night or so.

I have resolved to try to save money for traveling and not use the nice gym at the hotel. Instead I will try to use the school gym for a little running (around and around and around and around) and I have downloaded some yoga videos from YouTube to do at home. We'll see if I can stave off the increasing evidence of winter boredom dawdling around my middle...

Monday is Women's Day, a national holiday, which means no school! Whatever shall I do with myself!?... I tried to schedule a longer tutoring session on that day with a student I'm tutoring for the TOEFL, but he insisted I should rest. :-P

I am completely possessed of everything to finish my financial aid applications, just waiting for Mom and Dad to help me get them mailed back in the US. Such a good feeling! And maybe now I can cut down on my internet expenses. I have to always pay for internet when I am doing financial aid stuff because the secure internet and computers are only in certain internet cafes. The computer at school (on which I write my blog) is filled with nastyness and doesn't even have the firewall activated. So I can write, but shan't handle the financials here.

Feeling grateful this week that Mama's surgery went well! That among other things has made the missing my home peoples that much worse!

No comments:

Post a Comment